A Really Roman Day
KS2 school session at Peterborough Museum
£240 per group of up to 30 pupils
COVID UPDATE: We are taking bookings for Summer term 2021 onwards. We can deliver this session at Flag Fen or at Peterborough Museum.
At Flag Fen, you will meet a Roman soldier and Boudica as part of your day.
At the museum, you will meet a Roman surgeon as part of your day.
Capacity at Museum - Summer Term 2021 is one class only.
Capacity at Flag Fen - 2 classes. Please contact us if you wish to bring 3 classes to Flag Fen.
Capacities will be reviewed in line with government guidance.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about we will deliver this session in a Covid pandemic.
Peterborough Museum has a fantastic collection of Roman finds that tell the local Roman story of Durobrivae, from fortress to prosperous Roman town. There are four activities in this full day where pupils experience what life might have been like in Roman Britain.
- Life in Durobrivae
- As Roman slaves, help prepare for a special banquet at Castor Palace including chores in the kitchen and buying food from the Durobrivae market stall.
- Pottery Apprentice
- Learn the skills of a Roman potter. Make a Roman pot or a face inspired by our Roman collection to take back to school unfired.
- Meet a Roman surgeon
- Meet either a Roman surgeon to find out first hand about health and hygiene.
- Archaeology Detectives
- Discover what Archaeology tells us about the Romans. Handle real Roman pottery fragments and look for evidence in the gallery.
National Curriculum links: History, English, Art.
Participating in this Really Roman day, pupils will:
- Develop a chronological understanding of the Roman period.
- Develop an understanding of how our understanding of the past is constructed from a range of sources.
- Understand what impact the Roman Empire and Romanisation had on the local area.
- Develop analytical skills when identifying Roman artefact.
- Gain confidence in participating in discussions and presentations.
- Improve mastery in sculpture techniques using clay.